History of The Uitenhage Baptist Church

The Early Days


In 1935 a young man, inspired with his desire to serve the Lord came in faith to Uitenhage to begin a Baptist Work. He hired the Masonic Hall in Park Lane,  put an advertisement in the local newspapers, and prepared a sermon for his first service.

He set out 56 chairs,  expecting a goodly response to his advertisement and went to the Hall for the first Sunday morning in high hopes.  His congregation on that first day was his fiancee, his sister and one man.  So began the Baptist witness in Uitenhage.

This young man was the Rev.  G.C.  McLachlan, who, after his return from the S.A.G.M. in Congo, was challenged by the Rev.  A.B. Arnot of Victoria Park church in Port Elizabeth to start a Baptist work in Uitenhage.  He accepted the challenge and began the work by faith.

The month of May, 1936,  will always be a memorable one in the history of the Baptist Church of Uitenhage, as it marks the beginning of their official existence.

 

Rev. Gordon McLachlan

1936-1942

 

Rev. Neville McIntosch

1968-1972

 

Rev. Peter Smallbones

1985-1989

 

Rev. Paul Witter

2008-2018

 

Rev. Douglas Kriedemann

1945-1954

 

Dr. Frederick Arnot

1973-1980

 

Rev. Andy Sullivan

1990-2000

 

Rev. Paul Jones

1957-1961

 

Rev. Don Watson

1980-1985

 

Rev. David McDonald

2001-2007